While trying to configure a CUPS server at the office, I found the deamon was dying unexpectedly, with no apparent reason. Its last workds, consistently, were:
Child exited with status 98!.
After some testing and searching, I found out the guilty: the name solver for the machine CUPS was runnin on wasn't able to resolve its very own name!
So, my 2 cents: CUPS seems to be a rather picky service. If in trouble with it, first let's check the services it depends upon, and do it so proactively, since it is not very informative -by default, at any rate: the paramater
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf allow a more detailed configuration.